Hawes Elementary School has many programs that enrich learning for our students.
- ST Math: All students in grades K-5 utilize the ST Math program, commonly called JiJi. Created by MIND Research Institute, ST Math is game-based instructional software for K-12 and is designed to boost math comprehension and proficiency through visual learning. ST Math incorporates the latest research in learning and the brain, promoting mastery-based learning and mathematical understanding. The ST Math software games use interactive, graphically-rich animations visually representing mathematical concepts to improve conceptual understanding and problem-solving skills. Each student has a unique password that remains the same throughout their time at Hawes. We expect students complete 100% of the grade-level syllabus by the end of the year. In grades K-3, students also utilize the Fluency component of ST Math.
- Vocal Music: Each class spends 30 minutes each week with a credentialed music teacher in vocal music class. Mrs. Girardet teaches rhythm, songs, movement, and more. In 5th grade, our students learn to play the recorder - Recorder handout.
- Library: Each class has a weekly library time in the district-funded library/media center. Our librarian teaches library skills, and digital citizenship and creates an environment in which our students to look forward to visiting this hub of learning. During morning recess, our library allows students to utilize the Makerspace stations, play with technology (coding) and play games.
- Student Council: Our students in grades 3-5 can participate in Student Council and represent their class on this student advisory board. This group, led by two of our teachers, leads us through several important assemblies, helps promote character-building in all and looks for ways to make a difference across the campus. Student Council leads The Great Kindness Challenge, the Veteran's Day assembly, and the Bravo Assembly.
- Technology: Technology is integral to life at Hawes, a 1:1 school. All classrooms from K- 5 have Chromebook carts for student use. Our students use Google Classroom and many other apps to create and present their learning.
- Character Traits Program: We focus on John Wooden's Pyramid of Success at Hawes. Our students learn about those traits through reading, discussions, and the implementation of our school rules. The Second Step curriculum is also used in our classrooms to help develop social-emotional skills.
In grades 1-5 utilize the Accelerated Reader program to improve reading comprehension. Students are challenged to meet a comprehension goal of 85% and earn a specific amount of points determined for each student. Students can access reading books through the AR room, a PTSA-sponsored library staffed with volunteers. Parents can receive email messages that include a student's progress on quizzes by signing up through Home Connect.
Our students use a software program called Renaissance Place (Accelerated Reader - AR) at school. One of the special features of AR is Renaissance Home Connect, which allows access outside of school from any computer with an Internet connection. Renaissance Home Connect is fun and easy to use. It allows the teacher, you and your student to share information about your child's progress in Accelerated Reader. It does not allow for students to take tests at home - but having the ability to view progress and performance on assessments will help parents and students stay informed about achievement.
You can log in to Renaissance Home Connect from any computer with an Internet connection and a compatible browser.
User Name: first initial first 4 letters of last name (i.e. George Washington would be GWASH)
Password: 3rd - 5th grade (6 digit lunch number) or 1st-2nd grade (6 digit birthdate)
If you'd like to receive emails showing your student's quiz or test results, click the Email Setup link in Renaissance Home Connect and follow the directions. To be sure these emails reach your inbox, please add: email@example.com to your address book. If you have questions about Renaissance Home Connect, please get in touch with your child's teacher for assistance.
- HBCSD Preschool Academy: Our school district offers several preschool programs for students that are preschool age. However, this program is not housed at Hawes.
- Learning Link: The Learning Link program is offered every 1st and 3rd Friday of the month at the Perry Campus. Families can sign up for session 1 from 9:30-10:30 am or session 2 from 11 am to 12 pm. Each session is limited to 15 families. Sign-ups are on a first-come-first-serve basis.
To be added to the distribution email list for sign-up emails, please send an email to firstname.lastname@example.org